Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default replacing a thermost without ability to turn off electricity

wrote:
I would like to replace my thermostat in my apartment with a digital
programmable thermostat.
I don't have access to turn off the electricity to my HVAC system and
I don't want to involve the landland (I can always change back the
thermostat when I leave).
Do most thermostats run off of a 120v power control? Is there any safe
way to replace the thermostat without being able to cut electricity to
the HVAC?
Thanks

Don't just assume there is universal interchangeability between
thermostats, particularly ones which as you indicate are controlling
both heating AND air conditioning.

If I was your landlord I certainly wouldn't appreciate your screwing
around with parts of the most expensive appliance I there without my
knowledge and permission.

Is there some particular reason (other than your being cheap.) that you
don't want to involve the landlord?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia