Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Troubleshooting dishwasher - no water

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:37:26 -0000, k-man wrote:

Hi:

My dishwasher problem is probably more of a generic one. But, for
reference, I have a Kenmore Ultra Wash III Dishwasher Model Number:
665.1684993. Ok, here's the problem... When I turn on the
dishwasher, no water comes in. The water supply line from the house
is good and open. When I check the electrical leads going from the
dishwasher to the dishwasher's water inlet valve solenoid, when I turn
on the dishwasher, the leads have power. Yet no water is coming in.
Initially thinking I had a bad solenoid, I replaced it with a new one
am I'm having the same problem. It is possible that I was sent a
defective water inlet valve. But what else could be going on?
Also...

To me, with a water inlet valve, it uses a solenoid and so it seems to
me that if I touch the two solenoid contacts with a continuity meter
that I should detect continuity.

One scale of most meters is high enough that it will even read less
than infinity when you hold one test lead in one hand and the other in
the other. Are you just using a continuity tester? or a real VOM,
VTVM, FETVOM, or Digital VOM? You should buy a real mulitmeter of
some sort.

A continuity tester that beeps when there is continuity is nice so
that you don't have to look at the meter, but if the resistance is
over 200 ohms or something, it won't beep and you have to look at the
meter to see the value, or you have to use a higher resistance scale
and look at the meter while testing.

You can even buy an auto-ranging meter, but they probably have the
same rules about when they beep. But I'm assuming you won't have an
auto-ranging meter, since they are at least 40 dollars.

Test the old solenoid out of the washer, and the new one in the
washer.

I didn't with the first valve and
that let me in part to believe that I needed to buy a replacement.

I can certainly understand that, but learn to follow the advice of Pat
Voss and test more thoroughly before buying parts, unless they're real
cheap and eassy to put in.

But I can't get continuity with this new one and I can't get
continuity with a known good one installed at a dishwasher at another
house.

Good for you for going to the ohter house. Then it's definitely your
meter. It's possible the meter broke also if you are not relying on a
"continuity" setting.

So I guess my understanding regarding solenoids and continuity
are weak. I digress. What else can I do to see why the dishwasher
isn't getting any water?

Take a lamp cord and solder 1 inch rubber covered alligator clips
(sold at radio shack) on both wires, at the end away from the plug.
There are many many uses for such a thing.

Connect the clips to the two connectors on your old solenoid and plug
the thing in. If it's good, you should hear a click from the
solenoid.

If you're not sure or if you don't hear a click, try blowing through
the tube, when the cord is not plugged in and again when it is plugged
in. Make sure you don't stick your nose or lips into either of the
electrical connectors. I doubt this will be hard, but if it looks
dangerous, get some rubber or vinyl tubing and put it over one end or
the other of the valve. Blowing should be easy when the cord is
plugged in, and close to impossible when it's not.

Others have covered how to test the water parts.

Thanks.
Kevin