Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Motel AC/heater

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 06:17:34 -0500, (The
Freon Cowboy) wrote:

can gauarantee you that a ptac evap motor is not worth rebuilding
would be curious to know how old this thing is ?

It is 40 years old and never been repaired. The other one it turns
out was repaired about 10 or 15 years ago, but I think they've done
pretty well.

I saw your post about maybe it being a motor winding. I wonder if
this might account for it sometimes not wanting to spin even when I
prod it with a screwdriver. Sometimes it spins fine and sometimes it
seems magnetized in the place where it is. ??

I guess the winding might have burnt out the day it first started
scraping on the housing. Sometimes it would scrape for 2 to 3
seconds, but sometimes it would stop dead. That's when it would have
overheated, right?

While I was in the room the stop-dead periods never lasted more than
15 seconds, and then we turned it off, but the thing was running all
day and maybe they were longer earlier

I just want to get through this winter. We should have a new place by
summer, if not earlier.

"Don Young" wrote: