Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell udarrell is offline

Default A/C opinions?

Ashton Crusher wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:21:08 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

I've always bought the cheapest I can get. Not that I buy very many
but I've put a few on rental houses over the years. Even the cheapest
have lasted at least 20 years here in Phoenix. I have one house with
a Carrier unit that the original builder installed on it back in 1971.
Most recently, a couple months ago, I got estimates for a new unit for
another house. The Goodman (and installer) were about half the price
of the Trane (from a different installer). Looking at the Goodman I
didn't see any obvious difference between it and an other unit I've
ever eyeballed. And it used a Copeland scroll compressor which I've
heard is a very good compressor.

I am a retired HVAC/R contractor & have NO dog in this hunt.
I sold different Brands & did service work on all Brands.
I always look past the looks.

That is my point, the new Goodman units with the Copeland Scroll
compressor coupled with a TXV metering device is a lot of AC for that
initial investment with a great warranty. Coupled with a first rate
install it will transfer heat from your home with the best on the market.
I also prefer R-22 refrigerant systems, I believe, in a few years, new
refrigerants will be developed.

If you want PayBack, ultra high SEER is overrated!
http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...l_systems.html

DISCLAIMER:
I assume NO responsibility for the USE of any information I post on any
of my Web pages, in E-Mails or News Groups.
All HVAC/R work should always be done by a licensed Contractor &
properly licensed Techs! This information is only placed on these pages
primarily for your understanding & communication with contractors &
techs. This information is also for the edification of Contractors and
Techs. Never attempt anything that you are NOT competent to do in a SAFE
manner! I am NOT liable for your screw-ups, you are liable for what you
do! - udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/ (Updated)
How much can your communication content be worth? Even Trillions?

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
(* My Airconditioning Links, Hunting Shooting, Angus Cattle.)
Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept.