Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default Troubleshooting dishwasher - no water

The solenoid is just a valve. Only it operates electrically.

Check to be sure you are getting water to the valve. Turn off water,
disconnect water supply from solenoid valve, place line in bucket, turn on
water slowly.

Does water come out?

If yes, then reconnect water and check other side of valve. Disconnect
connection on other side of solenoid valve. Does water come out when you
cycle dishwasher?

Could be a problem with plugged water tubes. All sorts of junk comes out of
water lines.

Also if you have a manual valve on the wall for line going to dishwasher,
the line could be plugged at this valve. Turning it off/on several times or
backflushing might clear the plug.

"k-man" wrote in message
Hi:

My dishwasher problem is probably more of a generic one. But, for
reference, I have a Kenmore Ultra Wash III Dishwasher Model Number:
665.1684993. Ok, here's the problem... When I turn on the
dishwasher, no water comes in. The water supply line from the house
is good and open. When I check the electrical leads going from the
dishwasher to the dishwasher's water inlet valve solenoid, when I turn
on the dishwasher, the leads have power. Yet no water is coming in.
Initially thinking I had a bad solenoid, I replaced it with a new one
am I'm having the same problem. It is possible that I was sent a
defective water inlet valve. But what else could be going on?
Also...

To me, with a water inlet valve, it uses a solenoid and so it seems to
me that if I touch the two solenoid contacts with a continuity meter
that I should detect continuity. I didn't with the first valve and
that let me in part to believe that I needed to buy a replacement.
But I can't get continuity with this new one and I can't get
continuity with a known good one installed at a dishwasher at another
house. So I guess my understanding regarding solenoids and continuity
are weak. I digress. What else can I do to see why the dishwasher
isn't getting any water?

Thanks.
Kevin