Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slightly OT - Brick Cutting Diamond Saw Blade? But It's Metal, Too

Joe fired this volley in
:

So, SWMBO has taken on an impressive project - a brick and granite
stair/walkway up to what will someday be our new addition. A couple of
years ago, I found a bunch of RR-crosstie-sized granite pieces
(~9"x13"x9') to use as stair risers (actually replaced the crossties
that were already in place). Now the 8 foot long distance between
each set of double steps is getting the brick paver/granite flagstone
treatment.

Since nothing works out perfectly, I need to cut some bricks to fit in
the ends of the path, so I bought a HF tile saw on sale:
Surprisingly, the Chinese have not mastered the art of diamond bonding
(!), and the blade turned to crap after sawing about 8 brick pavers
(1.25" thick). Since I have a lot more to do, I would prefer to buy a
decent blade (the saw itself is OK for my needs). Does anyone know of
a reputable 7" blade for wet cutting (3600 RPM) that will do the job
for brick and not cost gazillions? Angie has fun with stone, and would
like to use this to cut some other stuff as well, and I probably will
also use this setup for cutting the roughs for thin sections for
mineral studies.

Thanks,
Joe

Our local ACE hardware carries the Forney line of welding goods. Among
some "accessories" are 7-1/4" and 10" diamond tile cutting blades.
(welding?) The 7-1/4" job is around $30, which is not a bad price.
Forney goods are of high quality, so I'd suspect they've bonded the grit
somewhat better than the Chinese would.

LLoyd