Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Motel AC/heater

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:00:59 -0700, "
wrote:

On Sep 25, 9:54?pm, "Don Young" wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

Follow-up on the motel-style AC/heater (in the building that was sold
but now we're renting).

The main problem has changed and now it is that the aquirrel-cage fan
motor doesn't start spinning. It won't start at all on slow, and on
high only if I spin it a screw-driver first. It's not very practical
to keep going over and spinning it with a screwdriver, especially when
no one is there.....

These units generally slide out of the case from inside the room. If you do
not see any screws in the grille/panel on the inside, it may be retained by
spring clips that just pop out. Look and check carefully where it is held so
you do not damage something.

OK. I'll have to get help to lower it to the floor.

All of the motor symptoms could be caused by worn bearings in the motor. It
is not a trivial job to remove the fan(s) and motor when rusted. The motor
bearings would likely have to be replaced at a motor repair shop.

I hope not, but you may be faced with an expensive repair and it might be
worthwhile to have a pro check it out or try to locate another unit for
replacement.

Thanks. You've also given me 2 pretty good excuses if I don't fix it.

Don Young-

is the owner going to keep heat on all over building so water lines
etc dont freeze?

No, but we will. We're paying the utilities. I'm pretty sure he
assumed no landlord responsibilitiies, especially if we are only
paying 1000 a month (I'm not sure how much we're paying). Even if the
law imposes them, we would not take advantage of that. It's not like
it's a residence and someone is going to get sick if it's too cold.
If people are cold, they can leave. If too many are cold, we'll
borrow or rent space somewhere else until we can buy something else.
They've already started working on that because afaik, we don't know
when the new owner will be ready to demolish.

Plus there is another identical unit in this room and we use something
else for the rest of the building. I know one AC unit is not enough
for the room on really hot days, but I don't know yet that one heater
would not be.

Hmmm. It can easily get to 28 degrees in the winter, which is 40
degrees below say a target of 68, (or even 18 which is 50 degrees
lower) but it's never been more than 102 out, which is only 30 degrees
more than a target of 72. But since I don't know, I'll still think
one heater might be enough.

you may have more troubles than just one noisey blower

Thanks. I'll remind them. They're generally smarter than I am, but
I'm the only one left who knows how to fix things.