Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Tig Welder for 1/4" thick Aluminum plate?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I've got a mig welder set up primarily for steel (w CO2/Argon tank),
but I've wanted a Tig welder for sometime. Ideally this Tig welder
could handle up to 1/4 aluminum plate, although less could be okay.
Any recommendations? Duty cycle does not need to be high(just a home
shop), but needs to run on 220v single phase power.

If you don't mind busting yer ass (pre-heating, tig'ing on bricks, tig both
sides, etc), a Miller Econotig can eke out 1/4", but you really have to bust
yer ass.
Fillets would be out of the question!
Does stick AC/DC, tig. Not true high freq, but a decent facsimile.
Groans on 3/16, OK on 1/8.
Overall nice machine. $1300 ten years ago. 50 A OK.
Post on SEJW.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

AND,
Make sure whomever you do vote for believes in
ABSOLUTE separation of Church & State--ferchrissakes

all d'numbuhs

Thanks
Chris