Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ernie Leimkuhler Ernie Leimkuhler is offline

Default Tig Welder for 1/4" thick Aluminum plate?

In article . com,
wrote:

Hi,

I've got a mig welder set up primarily for steel (w CO2/Argon tank),
but I've wanted a Tig welder for sometime. Ideally this Tig welder
could handle up to 1/4 aluminum plate, although less could be okay.
Any recommendations? Duty cycle does not need to be high(just a home
shop), but needs to run on 220v single phase power.

Thanks
Chris

To weld 1/4" aluminum with TIG requires at least a 250 amp machine, but
300 is more like it.
A Miller Syncrowave 250 maxes out at 310 amps, and I can tell you from
experience on mine that it will do 1/4" aluminum, but it does need a 80
amp circuit of 220 volt single phase to do that.

If you went to an inverter, like a Miller Dynasty 300DX then you could
run it from a 50 amp circuit, but the machine would cost you around
$4500.

It would be much simpler to run a spoolgun off of your MIG and simply
wire feed your aluminum.

Check out

http://www.readywelder.com

I have had their model 10250 version for 6 years and love it a lot.