Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Rug Cleaning

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:47:45 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I have one of those 8 x 10 (approximately) pieces of thick carpets commonly
called rugs. The big ones that hang at the Borg, and other stores. They're
thick, are hemmed, but don't have pile. They are smooth.

I need to clean it. I don't want to pay for it professionally because it
goes on an outside patio, and kind of clean is clean enough.

I was thinking of laying out a couple of sheets of plywood on an angle and
lightly power washing it with the little soap bottle that comes with the
power washer. It isn't radically stained, but I'm sure it has a lot of sand
in it, and a couple of coffee with cream big blobs.

Has anyone cleaned one of these? What's a good way? Any tips?

Steve

Hang it up and beat it on both sides. Lay it on a concrete slab and
wash it using a laundry soap (1/4 cup in a gallon warm water) with 1/2
cup household ammonia. I suggest using a garden sprayer. Either
massage the rug with your hands (for delicate rugs) or use a car-wash
brush. Rinse with a garden hose until soap is gone, hang up to drip
dry where there is a lot of air movement. Reposition the rug every 6
hours.