Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default $980.50 PC Board in Lincoln 185 TIG

Phil wrote:

Thanks , I appreciate all the interest in the Lincoln 185 TIG problem , 30
yrs. of HAM radio and Airplanes , I have seen a little of everything , yes
it is the $ 2.00 mechanical encoder that is giving the problem , I work part
time for a Co. that makes precision SS parts , retired several years ago
from full time aircraft welding and the little part time works well for me ,
if the welder was owned by myself I would have pulled the PC board out a
long time ago and either replaced it with a higher quality mech. encoder or
as one post mentioned , just find the 5 v. and use an optical , Co.is under
FDA and ISO and owner is pretty touchy about everything , welder is about 4
months out of warranty and looks like Lincoln will try to give us a little
break , I guess the price of the PC Board came to mind because I wonder what
some poor guy out in the field that is clueless on the electrical thing
would do if he had the same problem , a local welder repair shop said that
he could get the board and install it in our shop , Lincoln said that he is
not on there list , got to take the thing 60 miles and two trips , looks
like the small guy always gets kicked in the ass .

Ah, the joys of administratium, it saves companies so much money and
improves quality... hysterical laughter