Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default How to get rid of a cinder block wall????

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 23, 3:37 pm, (Lacustral) wrote:
How would you demo a small cinderblock wall? It's about 20 cinderblocks
long, not attached to anything except to a section of wall I want - but
there's a crack between the section I want to take out and the section I
want, so that may be fine. It's about 3 cinderblocks high, the bottom
cinderblock was apparently halfway buried in the ground as a footer.
It's
mortared. I don't know if it has any metal reinforcement, it probably
doesn't need any.

Laura

Well, I have read the entire thread. Seems hardly anyone has actually
removed a block wall. I have, several of them.

Unless the cores have been poured or there is reinforcing embedded in
teh mortar joints, it is a simple job, not requireing power tools.

Your top course may give you problems that a few easy thumps with a
sledge hammer will take care of. After that course the rest will
probably just pick off or only require a mild tap. Mortar is not a
'glue'. Once the blocks are free, a chipping hammer will usually
remove any remaining mortar with a few taps. Try the simple way first
and you will be surprised at how minor a job it is.

Harry K

Apparently you missed my post where I had removed 100' of six foot wall with
rebar, footers, and poured cells. The top part is usually easy, with most
of it falling over with a few slaps from a big hammer. It's just when you
get down to the bottom course when you find out if it is truly an easy job.
If you have a large footing, it gets complicated from there.

Removing a cinderblock wall of any size is no simple job. And the longer it
has been in place, the more the indication is that it was put up strong with
a lot of reinforcement.

I do hope the OP keeps us posted as to just how easy/hard it was.

Steve

Steve