Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Mathog David Mathog is offline

Default Lite-On SHM-165P6S04C, sticking tray problem - fix

Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:22:53 -0700, David Mathog wrote:

1. At BIOS (or in linux, or in Windows), pressing the front panel eject
button would result in a couple of "clunks", and the tray might move
a millimeter out, but the tray would not open.

I just repaired a Lite On drive that had identical
problems. Turned out to the be mechanism belt.

That was my first thought but changing to a new O ring didn't fix it.

The drive here didn't open reliably, whether or not there was a disk in
the tray.

It's on open question as to why this one drive needed that point
lubricated, but seven other drives didn't.

Regards,

David Mathog