Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default $980.50 PC Board in Lincoln 185 TIG

Phil wrote:
Hello
I was in touch with a Welding Service center today , have been having a
problem with a Lincoln Precision 185 TIG welding machine , seems the Encoder
for the amperage control has decided to go Nuts , man says there $50.00 PC
board will cost me $ 980.50 , I thought he was kidding at first and he said
no he wasn't , the thing really will cost that much , I have mostly used
Miller over the years and have had pretty good luck with there units , I
live fairly close to Cleveland and a lady called me several years ago and
wondered why I didn't patronize my local Lincoln Co. , if see calls me again
I'll have a reason to tell her I prefer BLUE , I think this Lincoln 185 cost
just a little more than the PC Board and it's just over three years old.

I've taken some guff from the local welding
shops about my decision to buy a Thermal-Arc
TIG, mostly along the lines of "you can't get
service for that thing and we can fix a Miller/
Lincoln.

I feel better now.