Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default New ceiling light glows dimly

According to :
What I meant by that statement is that I replaced my ceiling fan with
a ceiling light.
Next, I proceeded to connect the ceiling light as follows.
1) I connected the black wire of the light fixture to the black source
wire coming from the ceiling; and,
2) I connected the white wire of the light fixture to the white source
wire coming from the ceiling; and,
3) I connected the bare ground wire from the light fixture with the
green ground wire from the source coming from the ceiling to the
ceiling lamp with the included green screw.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

If you're only getting a dim light from this, either the circuit
is miswired and thus the color codes are lying to you, or,
one of the connections in the circuit or the switch[es?] has gone bad.

I _have_ seen people use the black for unswitched hot, the white
for switched hot, and the ground for neutral.

You're going to need to open up the switch[es?] and see what's
connected to what, and check for char marks etc.

Be careful, because a dim light may be indicative of a bad connection
overheating.
--
Chris Lewis,