Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] rutgert@gmail.com is offline

Default New ceiling light glows dimly

On Sep 24, 1:47 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:
Hi,

I recently added a ceiling light kit to an old ceiling fan. This
included having to connect the blue wire which should have been
connected to the hot source. However, although the fan still worked
the light was very dim. Thinking that there was a slim chance there
was a power issue preventing the light to shine properly I removed the
newly installed light kit and the old ceiling fan. I next replaced it
with a simple ceiling light. I proceeded to connect the black to
black, the white to white, and the neutral as directed in the
instructions. However, the result was the same. The light shines very
dimly, just enough to barely have the light filament glow.
Occassionally, the light does not even seem to come on. Although
the ceiling light suggests 75W bulbs, I have also tried 60W and 40W
bulbs with the same outcome. If the power source was sufficient to
run a ceiling fan motor it seems it should be enough to light a 40W
bulb.
What am I overlooking? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you in advance!

If you are the same person who posted as " about
their fan/light problem:

I respecfully suggest that the light is overhead AND also YOU are in
over your head with respect to not understanding basic electricity and
wiring.

Which is not to say that you may be far more knowlegeable than me in
many other subjects.

Stop screwing around with it now before whatever is reducing the power
to that light bulb might get hot enough to burn your house down.

Get a knowlegeable DIYer or a pro in there before doing anything further
you might regret.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Although I believe I scanned the post you are referring to while
searching for answers to my question on the net, I am not the same
person. This is the first time I have ever posted a home improvement
question on the net. My issue seemed different from the other poster
you are referring to, which is why I proceeded create my own post.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.