Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default New ceiling light glows dimly

I'm thinking along the same lines, but this statement has me confused. " I
next replaced it
with a simple ceiling light. I proceeded to connect the black to
black, the white to white, and the neutral as directed in the
instructions. "

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I recently added a ceiling light kit to an old ceiling fan. This
included having to connect the blue wire which should have been
connected to the hot source. However, although the fan still worked
the light was very dim. Thinking that there was a slim chance there
was a power issue preventing the light to shine properly I removed the
newly installed light kit and the old ceiling fan. I next replaced it
with a simple ceiling light. I proceeded to connect the black to
black, the white to white, and the neutral as directed in the
instructions. However, the result was the same. The light shines very
dimly, just enough to barely have the light filament glow.
Occassionally, the light does not even seem to come on. Although
the ceiling light suggests 75W bulbs, I have also tried 60W and 40W
bulbs with the same outcome. If the power source was sufficient to
run a ceiling fan motor it seems it should be enough to light a 40W
bulb.
What am I overlooking? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you in advance!

My first thought is that the ceiling line is in series with something
else.
That would account for the dim light and for the fan working. That may be
an indication of an improper or faulty neutral connection.

I would open up the switch and see what is going on in there. Make sure
the
neutrals are connected properly. The next step would be to check where
that
feed comes from and so on. Is everything else on that circuit working
properly? You could try unplugging everything on that circuit to see if
the
dim light goes out all together.