Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default A/C opinions?

Nate Nagel wrote:

Hi all,

been collecting quotes on A/C installs for the house; all appear to be
coming in at about the same price but three installers quoted on either
Carrier or Trane, and one quoted on Goodman which I've never heard of.
Warranty is actually better on the Goodman but am curious about comments
on reliability, durability, parts availability of all brands (and
Ruud/Rheem as well, if anyone cares to share.) The installer that I'm
leaning towards just because of initial impression is spec'ing a Trane
unit, 14 SEER which he says provides more efficiency (duh) as well as a
better warranty than the 13 SEER at slight additional cost. comments?

These are all for 2.5 ton residential units to retrofit to an existing
forced-air heating system. Likely will be adding some kind of
filtration (there is currently none other than the foam dirt catcher in
the existing furnace, which is a rather old Ruud high efficiency gas
unit.) Not sure if just cutting in a regular replaceable filter is the
way to go, or if the extra cost for electronic is worth it. Comments
here would be appreciated as well.

thanks,

nate

These days they probably all come off the same line in China.