Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default $100 for a old 1/2 HP punch press

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:08:26 -0700, "Robin S."
wrote:

On Sep 23, 8:29 pm, Ignoramus9581
wrote:
I am talking about an OBI style punch press, if I am not mistaken,
with a BIG flywheel. It is powered with a 1/2 HP single phase motor. I
would say it weighs 200-300 pounds. This is from a big pile of really
old iron (not yet quite ready for a museum, but almost) from an estate
of a deceased 90 yr old guy. I offered them $100 for it, after two
weeks no one is biting (they wanted to sell the whole shed of that
stuff for 2k, which was crazy). So they are now agreeing to sell to me.

My question is, is $100 a reasonable price. The punch works.

If it helps to hear another voice say the same thing..

Find a certified, experienced and trustworthy tool and die maker to
SHOW you how to operate your press correctly. After four thousand
hours working on mechanical and hydraulic presses up to 2500 tons
capacity, I was still very careful EVERY time.

With mechanical presses (yours), you get to jam it precisely ONCE.
When you do, something WILL break. People have been crushed by massive
flywheels and gears coming off the presses due to a smash. Don't be
fooled by the size of your machine. Find the formulas and calculate
the amount of energy that flywheel has stored. Your mushy body doesn't
stand a chance. That press will be *the* most dangerous tool in your
shop.

Regards,

Robin

Good advise.