Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
CJT CJT is offline

Default Getting a more efficient heat pump

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"CJT" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

FWIW, our peak day this year was August 12. Our AC ran for 11

hours

40

minutes.

Straight or in a 24 hr period?

In a 24 hour period, midnight to midnight.

I hope that wasn't at design temperature.

Whatever design parameters were used 25 years ago when the house was
built have been forgotten long ago. And the original designer

couldn't

have known what temperature profile I would now set in my programmable
thermostat (especially since I don't think such thermostats were even
on the market yet back then), nor could (s)he have known that I would
have installed a radiant barrier in my attic, nor many other factors
that affect the AC load. So there's really not much sense in

discussing

whether the peak day this year was at "design temperature" or not. In
fact, one might argue that design by rule can't hope to get very close
to the "right" answer, particularly when load patterns can change over
time (e.g. I could install more insulation or the insulation I have
could compact and lose its effectiveness, I could throw more/fewer
parties with lots of heat-exhaling guests, global warming could affect
the climate, I could plant trees which over time could mature and

shade

the house, I could install blinds and draperies, I could paint the
house a different color and install a different color roof, etc.).

Geez.... 25 years old, replace that old energy hog!

Replacing it would be uneconomical.

Not likely.

like you would have a clue

You sure don't.

???

You're talking some real nonsense, boy.

I know a lot more about what it costs to run my AC than you do.

And I question the value of any economic analysis you do _without_ that
information.