Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mounting horizontal radiator vertically... is it possible?

Martin Bonner wrote:
On Sep 24, 1:50 pm, wrote:

* heated wall - see cant find the link, but it was discussed here a
while ago. Idea is to put tubing inside a stud wall so the whole wall
reaches 30C or so.

Bewa When being shown around a German eco kit-house building firm
we were shown their meeting room with a heated wall. They said it had
two problems: I think one was that the heating and cooling meant
there was a lot of cracking where the wall met the ceiling and
floor. The other was definitely that you couldn't put a nail or a
screw in!

There would be some differential expansion, this is addressed by
using silicone as caulk around the edges. Bear in mind youre
looking at an external surface temp of just 25-30C

The nail and screw question is solved by hanging the pipes on wire
or string, leaving them free to move out the way as a screw comes
through.

Thanks to Cicero for the link, google didnt retrieve it earlier.

AFAIK no-one here has tried the proposed wall, me included, but
the potential issues appear to have been addressed, so its
something I'd certainly try out if the need comes up.

NT