Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default How to fasten ceiling sheet rock?

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:23:41 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I need to attach new sheet rock to the ceiling.

It was removed since there were some leaks and stains which has since been
repaired. At first I thought the sheet rock were attached to the ceiling
joist, but after I had them removed, I noticed they attached 1x3 fir furring
strips perpendicular to the joist spaced 16" apart, the fiber glass
insulation were then placed between two joists, resting on the furring
strips.

Now I need to attached new sheet rock and wonder what is the best way to
fasten it. Should I use screws, nails, or staples? Is it the same rule as
walls - once every eight inches?

Thanks,

MC

There are drywall "lifters" to hold the sheet rock into position, but
these can be expensive to rent. Hold the sheet in place using your
head, then fasten with drywall screws every 8" along every joist.