Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Default adding vents to a garage

H.Bunker wrote:
gin_g wrote:
Hey everybody,

After an A/C inspection by our local utlity service I was advised to
add one or two vents between the attic and the garage. I purchased
two 12x6 return air grills and just wanted to make sure that where I
plan to put them is okay.

If I'm facing into my garage, here's what I see, from left to right:
1) 2.5 feet of wall
2) 3 foot door which leads into the house
3) 0.5 feet of wall
4) an 8 foot alcove which contains the A/C unit, ducts, and the water
heater
5) 1 foot of wall
6) 6 foot space containing the clothes washer and dryer
7) 2 feet of wall

several feet in front of the A/C unit is an attic access.

I wanted to put one of the vents in the ceiling in front of the door
leading into the house, and the other vent in front of the dryer. I
would equally space both vents from the wall adjacent to the house,
and the left and right wall of the garage (so maybe about 2.5 to 3
feet or so)

Does this sound okay? Also what's the best way to install the
vents? The attic is insulated, so I'll have to cut through this
layer and then cut a hole in the garage ceiling... ?

Thanks!

It sounds like a serious fire code violation.

Why??