Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Default Ditch Witch

In article ,
says...

I need to trench for sprinklers. The area is VERY sandy, amounting to sand
dunes, but with occasional rocks, big rocks, and rocks the size of
Cleveland.

I only need it to be 18" deep or so, and it will be about 800 feet or so.

What is the trenching rate for a Ditch Witch in sandy soil? I know
everything won't go perfectly, but think the sandy soil will be fast in most
areas, and I do have a couple of filled areas where it may be gravel and
small rocks.

I've never used one of these. Any hints or caveats?

I've done several trenchs using them. They will get stuck on any rock that is
wider than the trench. They also have trouble with large roots that cross the
path. For my last 120' trench I rented a mini excavator and it was much better,
but a lot slower. I wouldn't want to trench 800' with an excavator.

--
Dennis