Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Washing Machine worth fixing?

Eric wrote:
CJT wrote:

dpb wrote:

wrote:

Get a new one. You will save money through better efficiency. A new
Kenmore can be had for $299-399. Why pay $100+ to fix an old machine
when a new one with warranty can be had for a bit more? Penny wise
and pound foolish some are.

Where is this extra efficiency coming from, pray tell?

Indeed. I don't think basic electric motors have improved much in
efficiency over the years, and the efficiency of a washing machine
is dictated by the efficiency of its motor because they all work
in pretty much the same way -- add water to clothes, agitate, spin
water out of clothes.

The "throw the fixable on out" a priori route seems the more expensive
to me by far until at least know what the problem is...

--

My front loader has a variable speed drive in it which uses much less
electricity, uses a fraction of the water, washes better, less wear and

Most front loaders also are less capacity so what efficiency gains there
are per load are lost on number of loads. There seems to be a
considerable debate on users of the "washes better" subject from what
I've read...some maybe, some "not so much".

I find it hard to believe the energy savings overall on washers is big
enough to be more than just barely noticeable if at all...certainly not
enough to justify the expense of a new machine over a relatively
inexpensive repair...

$0.02, etc., ...