Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default $100 for a old 1/2 HP punch press

Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus3778 wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:13:27 GMT, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3778 wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 07:25:26 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

spaco wrote:

A friend keeps reminding Me: "The punch press is ALWAYS trying to get you".

One got the hand of the daughter of a friend of mine in Ohio. She
lost most of her hand when she reached in at the wrong time.

Mike, how sad. Did they recover the hand in any way?

Recover what Iggy, a blob of goo to keep in a jar of formaldehyde???
That's the difference between a punch press accident and say a table saw
accident, the lack of anything to recover and reattach. Gotta be
*REALLY* careful...

Well, maybe the punch punched a small hole etc

Don't the punches normally have a fairly large clamp / stripper section
around them? If it's just a straight punch the surrounding material will
get deformed and stuck around the punch.

Not if you set it up properly.

Some have a stripper arm, some dont.

In the absence of pictures were all guessing what this press is all about.

I have a 25ton power press and this uses a 3hp motor. so a 1/2 hp motor
will drive a 4 ton press, or thereabouts.
Now theres a lot to learn all about press work. apart from the safety
angle.

you need to know what the punch clearances are for various thicknesses
of material, also what depth through the die the punch goes.
this has to be adjustable to suit the material.
also theres a nack in using these machines by hand.
were not talking about automated strip fed power presses with
sequential tool and die sets.

this sounds like a simple foot pedal operated one shot press for small
components. You need to be taught how to use it so that your safe and
can produce consistent blanks from sheet thats hand fed.
This latter task needs planning so that each blank is close to the
previous one so you can strip the sheet off the punch with a small
twisting action.
I do it all the time with the 6 ton press I have as well.
the same principles apply if your blanking with a fly press.
you only need guards if you employ someone. officially.
I wouldn let any one else use it anyway.

hope this helps you decide wether you want to learn some new skills.

..