Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Lifting the rear of a pickup truck to level it out/Van Spare carrier

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:46:05 -0400, john
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
My new to me 2001 Supercab Ford Ranger has always sat a bit low in the
rear even when empty. Now that Ive added a utility shell
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/
and my tools, it sags like an Okie dustbowl refugee on his way to
California.

snip
===========
Not to hijack your thread, given the number of responses from
people "what been there and done that," and the huge number of
web sites with air lifts / helper springs, etc., this appears to
be a basic design flaw rather than something unique to your
truck.

Even trucks used as cars, i.e. no loads, just people, seem to
have this spring problem. It can't be that expensive to put a
few more pounds of good steel in the springs. Has Detroit lost
the ability to design even utility vehicles? Did the
beancounters run amok again? Did they throw the prints for the
1950s and 60s away?

Anybody have similar problems with the import trucks such as
Toyota?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.