Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Mounting horizontal radiator vertically... is it possible?

On 2007-09-24 13:00:32 +0100, Pete C said:

On Sep 23, 7:18 pm, Steve Walker wrote:
On the only available bit of wall in our kitchen, we have two small
radiators mounted one above the other and connected with chrome plated pipe
and fittings.

I'd do this, if they were 'boxed in' then the output might go up due
to a chimney effect. Plus the outside of the boxed in bit could be
used for a noticeboard or narrow shelves.

cheers,
Pete.

Doesn't work.

This is the same idea as a radiator cover.

No it isn't.

Yes it is. The result will be the same.

Most manufacturers and HVAC sources suggest derating the radiator by up
to 30% with a radiator cover.

Yes, that's a radiator cover, not a chimney.

There will be a substantial reduction in output from a radiator
arrangement that is already less than optimal. This is not a useful
idea for this application.