Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Trouble setting up new table saw

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 12:23:43 -0700, "Dan" wrote:

Well this has been an eye opening thread and I think I've seen the
light. You see, when I needed to upgrade my table saw I went back to
"salvage" (the place where freight damgage, dealer inventory resets,
individuals who do not believe in the laws of random variability, and
the rare individual who actually has a real problem send their units
back to) and asked Jerry if he had a Unisaw. Says Frank I've got this
one that came back "alledged defective" (the usual RMA cause) but I've
checked it and can't find the reason (the usual outcome) it's within
specs., so I say let me go pay finance and I'll back my truck up. I
never checked the saw for alignment that day or ever.

Now that was 13 years ago or so, and I've made a whole lot of
furniture since then with this saw and while my friends and realtives
comment favorably on my work, as the builder I know where all the
flaws are that they don't see.

I've always assumed that the flaws were human error, where I measure a
little wrong, or skipped a step here or there, or whatever. But now
I'm beginning to think I can blame all those flaws on the saw.

So I guess I need to get one of those gadgets that Ed sells and get to
tweaking this saw so I can achieve the perfection that I know exists
out there somewhere.

Frank