Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Eric is offline

Default Washing Machine worth fixing?

CJT wrote:

dpb wrote:

wrote:

Get a new one. You will save money through better efficiency. A new
Kenmore can be had for $299-399. Why pay $100+ to fix an old machine
when a new one with warranty can be had for a bit more? Penny wise
and pound foolish some are.

Where is this extra efficiency coming from, pray tell?

Indeed. I don't think basic electric motors have improved much in
efficiency over the years, and the efficiency of a washing machine
is dictated by the efficiency of its motor because they all work
in pretty much the same way -- add water to clothes, agitate, spin
water out of clothes.

The "throw the fixable on out" a priori route seems the more expensive
to me by far until at least know what the problem is...

--

My front loader has a variable speed drive in it which uses much less
electricity, uses a fraction of the water, washes better, less wear and