Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Lifting the rear of a pickup truck to level it out/Van Spare carrier

Gunner Asch wrote:

My new to me 2001 Supercab Ford Ranger has always sat a bit low in the
rear even when empty. Now that Ive added a utility shell
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/

and my tools, it sags like an Okie dustbowl refugee on his way to
California.

Ive asked a few folks, and they have given me a multitude of answers,
from very expensive airbags to simple shackles.

All I want to do is make the damned thing sit level. Im sure drivers
ahead of me will be much happier without my headlights pointing into
their rear windows as well.

My load is pretty much constant. The van is getting the heavy stuff
(Installed a full 4 unit Adrian Steel rack set last week., new $200)

So what do I need to lift this about 3"?

Cheaply.

Im not looking for a heavy duty rockclimbing off-road beat and bounce
suspension package..

Im assuming that the first thing I do is put a helper spring? in each
leaf bundle?

In the good old days..I simply made up a set of shackles from 3/8 flat
stock and bolted em to the back of the leaf springs, but a mechanic
told me "it would be hard on the rear differential due to increased
thrust angle on the doofunny whichadiddly and would cause extreme wear
on the labia valves and shuztmeister bearings"

Blink blink.....

I know this isnt rocket science...just not something Ive had to do
since 1974 when I wanted to put big rear tires on a Dodge Duster.

Also..anyone know the best sort of spare tire carrier to put on a 1
ton Ford van? It currently has one of those doofus carriers that is
mounted to the hinge and latch side of the rear door. The door that
gets opened and closed a lot....

The BIG tires on this thing...are heavy. Heavier than Im comfortable
carrying on that flimsey door hanger. Which is already bent from
carrying a spare.

The van has dual gas tanks...so there may not be a lot of room
underneith..Ive not checked yet. With all the racks and shelves
inside..there is no room onboard for the spare.
Fiberglass roof extension makes roof mounting out..plus those tires
are Heavy.....8 lug nuts each...ack!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My best customer commented on it
Friday..made an unfavorable comparison between an illegal immigrant
brick layer going down the highway with a load of bricks......

Gunner

Can't help you on lifting the rear, though I expect a truck spring and
brake place could fix you un in an hour or two. For the spare tire, fab
a front bumper mount for it. Counter the weight in the rear with some
weight in the front, and it will be easier to chase when the mount
breaks evil grin TIG it good.