Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Absolutely Amazing!

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:20:28 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"SteveB" quickly quoth:

Yesterday, my BIL used his front end loader to crack a four inch irrigation
supply line under pressure.

Um, oops!

Then comes the interesting part. It took about twelve attempts to pull that
stake. Most resulting with the back wheels of the loader coming off the
ground. Only with constant pounding on the stake in all directions,
including DOWN, did it finally slowly pull out. This soil is sandy, but
they say once these stakes rust in, they are like pulling on a concrete
plug.

I have had extensive experience with heavy rigging, and this was one of the
darndest things I have ever seen. A hydraulic front end loader having
trouble pulling out a concrete stake from sandy soil.

Concrete stake "rusting" into sandy soil? That's a new one. ]

I've been amazed at how tight stakes go into the ground after setting
up concrete forms.

I always used a railroad jack to pull up stakes/posts that were stuck
tight in the ground.

John