Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default Mounting horizontal radiator vertically... is it possible?

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
mike writes:
We have a large space to heat with very little available wall space.

I've had a look for vertical rads and not really found any "normal"
ones, and I'm not inclined to spend a fortune on a designer one,
particularly when it doesn't have the BTUs required to heat the space.

So is it possible to mount a standard horizontal radiator vertically
(with both valves running vertically downwards on the bottom (ie. what
would ordinarily be one side of the rad) or does that come under the
heading of Really Stupid Idea? (And if so, why?)

It would be great if I could just take this 300x1200 rad from Screwfix...

... and turn it through 90 degrees, but life's not that simple, is it???

It won't work very well because the fins will be the wrong
orientation for convection to operate. Might even insulate those
sides of the panel more than if they weren't there.

Go to a builders/plumbers merchant who will be able to order such
sizes for you from the manufacturers, rather than outlets such as
the sheds and screwfix which do just a few fixed sizes.

I've used Ultraheat4 range, and the manufacturers will make up
sizes they don'e have in stock. Unfortunately Pitacs website is
complete crap, but there's part of the Ultraheat leaflet on it
he http://www.pitacs.com/ultra/compact4_main.html
You could ask them to make up a 300x900mm single (SF) or double
(DF) radiator for you. The Ultraheat6 range is the same but has
addition flow and return connections into the underneath of the
radiator, so it needs no side clearance.

If you're anywhere near Bedfordshire, the following plumbers
merchant will order you in Ultraheat4/6 radiators for next day
if the manufacturer has them in stock (but don't do mail order):
Dunstable Plumbing & Heating Merchants Ltd
137, High St North, Dunstable, Bedfordshire LU6 1JN
Tel: 01582 668893

--
Andrew Gabriel

I'd assumed he was looking at a standard, not a high output. John's right
about having to bodge the hangers too, of course. But I still think if looks
and output aren't critical that it might be good enough for the job.