Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default B*****y plumbers

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
tim..... wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .uk...
tim..... wrote:

That's interesting.

It's just that it's the opposite of what the guy from Cambridge
who came here 3-4 years ago said (I wonder if he's still
lurking?).

Some of you will remember that he moved over to trying out
being a handyman, as he was then finding little work in IT
due to ageism (which is pretty much where I am now).

After about 2 years he gave it up because he couldn't find
enough small customers to make it worthwhile. He said
that there was enough work if he was prepared to take on
the bigger jobs but that he didn't want to (or couldn't) do
that.

I wonder if your high density location is the difference?

A difference yes, I live in a very densely populated area, many of
the people working in London, so they are 'cash rich time poor'.

The area is relatively small so travel costs are minimum.

The real answer is effective marketing. I use two local 'free'
magazines with relatively small circulations, but high readership, a
website, a highly visible signwritten van, corporate clothing,
fridge magnet business cards & several church magazines. What they
call a 'multi channel marketing strategy.

Do you have any similar competition.

I have competition, but its not similar. There are a dozen handymen in YP,
but I have only found one professional handyman - met him in Wickes car
park.

Chatham doggers ?

--
geoff