Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT? Weigh your car by checking tire pressure?

On Sep 23, 1:00 am, Wes wrote:
I'm almost tempted to check the air pressure on my car tires and then jack
it up and check again. It is a no brainer that pressure in tire increases
when a load is put on it since the bottom compresses, the air compartment is
restrained and the car is hanging from the rim.

Wes

I doubt if you can detect the difference in pressure on a regular tire
pressure gauge.
The volume changes very little. The fabric in the tire keeps the
surface area very close to a constant and while the tire squishes in
on the bottom, it also bulges out on the sidewall.

Have you ever fixed a flat or mounted a new tire? If you inflate the
tire before mounting and then check it after it is on the car and
loaded, it is still about the same.

Dan