Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North JR North is offline

Default Vise for pipe threading

You need the rotating type bench vise with the pipe jaws on the bottom,
and regular vise jaws on the top. Like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Ignoramus11107 wrote:
I had a chance to thread some 1/2 NPT pipes. The threader worked,
however, the vise (Harbor Freight 4" vise) could not hold the pipe
well, so the pipe would slip. I tightened the vise rather well. This
is a vise with no special pipe holding provisions.

My question is, is the vise somenow not as good as it should be, or
was it simply a wrong tool for the job? Do vises with pipe "slots"
hold round objects better?

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"