Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Mounting horizontal radiator vertically... is it possible?

Newshound wrote:
"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 23 Sep, 18:03, mike wrote:
We have a large space to heat with very little available wall space.

I've had a look for vertical rads and not really found any "normal"
ones, and I'm not inclined to spend a fortune on a designer one,
particularly when it doesn't have the BTUs required to heat the space.

So is it possible to mount a standard horizontal radiator vertically
(with both valves running vertically downwards on the bottom (ie. what
would ordinarily be one side of the rad) or does that come under the
heading of Really Stupid Idea? (And if so, why?)

It would be great if I could just take this 300x1200 rad from Screwfix...

... and turn it through 90 degrees, but life's not that simple, is it???

It would get warm, but I don't think it would work very efficiently.
Those things are designed so that the water takes a path through which
heats the whole rad. The convector fins then help to heat the air by
convection. If you turn one through 90 degrees then the water will
have an easy vertical path from one valve to the other, so I suspect a
large part of the rad won't get very hot, and the fins won't really
work at all.

(You would also have to make sure that the bleeding valve is at the
top, not the bottom.)

Cheers!

Martin

Most rads have a connection at each corner, so flow / return can still go in
at the bottom and bleed at the top. I agree that it may not be quite so
efficient as in the normal orientation but I wouldn't agonise over it.

You would need to alter the brackets in some way since they are usually
designed to allow the rad to hang on them only in one orientation.

--
Cheers,

John.