Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Dryer 4 wire to 3 wire plug

"Lou" wrote in message
Toller wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing
the whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

No instructions? You have to add a jumper from the neutral to the ground
and change the cordset, but it would be nice to know how the manufacturer
intended it to be done.

I did find this site which has comments:
http://www.selfhelpforums.com/showthread.php?t=4263

Lou

I wouldn't disagree with anything there; though calling tens of millions of
dryers and ovens an electrocution hazzard when I doubt anyone has ever been
electrocuted is a bit of an overstatement. It could only happen if the
neutral gets broken somehow and you touch the dryer with a wet hand when you
are well grounded. And even then it is improbable; though certainly not
impossible.

Can anyone document an actual fatality from a 3wire circuit?