Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Dryer 4 wire to 3 wire plug

"Toller" wrote in message

"Lou" wrote in message
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing
the whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

No instructions? You have to add a jumper from the neutral to the ground
and change the cordset, but it would be nice to know how the manufacturer
intended it to be done.

The advice above is correct. If you don't know the neutral from the other
two hire a pro. It isn't worth dying over.

They come from the factory with a jumper from the neutral to the body of the
dryer. This is removed when the dryer is installed using a 4 wire cable.
Then the ground wire is attached to the body. If you are going back to 3
wires you reverse the process.

I just installed a new stove and this is the way it came.