Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer 4 wire to 3 wire plug

"Big_Jake" wrote in message

I'm sure other posters will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a
plug that is closer (or at) current code, doesn't it make sense to
replace the outdated receptacle instead of the "proper" cord?

It is not that simple since the existing cable does not have four
conductors. You may be able to replace the wire, but that may be a major
project also if it is in the wall and not easily pulled. While the code
allows using a jumper and three wires on the appliance, I don't think it
allows using a four pin receptacle on a three conductor wire.