Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Absolutely Amazing!

Yesterday, my BIL used his front end loader to crack a four inch irrigation
supply line under pressure.

It was quite a show.

Once we got it shut down, we went to removing the damaged section.

A common local practice is to drive 3/4" square concrete stakes next to the
pipe slightly on the diagonal to keep the pressure kicks from heaving up the
pipe.

We were trying to remove one of the 24" stakes with the bucket of a front
end loader. First we tried a soft nylon sling, but it kept slipping off,
even with a clove hitch basket rigging.

Then we did a 5/16" chain with a stopper hitch, and that held.

Then comes the interesting part. It took about twelve attempts to pull that
stake. Most resulting with the back wheels of the loader coming off the
ground. Only with constant pounding on the stake in all directions,
including DOWN, did it finally slowly pull out. This soil is sandy, but
they say once these stakes rust in, they are like pulling on a concrete
plug.

I have had extensive experience with heavy rigging, and this was one of the
darndest things I have ever seen. A hydraulic front end loader having
trouble pulling out a concrete stake from sandy soil.

Steve