Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Starrett and Global Series

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 18:32:32 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:58:06 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

This fantasy of the huge chinese market still draws moths to the flame.
Could someone be so kind as to point out how non-chinese manufacturers
in china are profiting?

============
You need to define your terms.

Some non-chinese manufacturing companies could be [and probably
are] taking it in the shorts, but the owners and executives of
these same companies are getting rich.

In the short term, establishment of manufacturing facilities for
high labor content commodity items is a gold mine for the
owners/operators, second only the the profit potential of the
star trek replicator technology, and as Keynes observed "in the
long run we are all dead anyhow."

Please give us some of the crumbs of knowledge that fall off your feast
table, where owners and executives are raking it in. I don't deal in
emotions, but (hopefully) facts.

Traders have been waiting for centuries for the big chinese market to
make them rich. Other than the opium wars, I just don't see foreign
trade in china as being all that profitable.

I do NOT subscribe to the idea that companies are agents of social
change, but are dedicated to earning a return on the capital invested in
them.

=============
General Motors for one
see

Rolls Royce [now a german company]
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...214_778537.htm

Swiss watches
http://www.europastar.com/europastar..._id=1002727893

Scotch whisky
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3954813.stm

cnc machine tools
http://www.allbusiness.com/manufactu...4503999-1.html

robots
http://www.fanuc.co.jp/en/ir/goal.html

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.