Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Air conditioner comes on for 10 seconds or so and kicks backoff again, any ideas?

David Combs wrote:

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:34:36 -0500, dpb wrote:

Joe wrote:

On Aug 30, 4:49 pm, Mike wrote:

snip

3) Compressor drawing too much current (any way to check this, I do
have a multimeter)

You need an AC ammeter or the right adapter to handle 50 A more or
less on your multimeter. HTH

Quite an adapter to put inline w/ a conventional multimeter...

In a practical sense, unless you have a clampon meter, no, there isn't
an easy way for large currents...typical VOM's are able to handle only a
few 10's of mA.

Some do have a 10A range (with a separate jack). I used to use that
frequently to measure the current use by 120V appliances.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."

Question: are the clamp-ons at all accurate, or are they
(sometimes) GROSSLY wrong?

Even the $12 ones at Harbor Freight seem to do a pretty good job.

EG I got a radio shack 2part vom that had a plug-in clamp-on
coming with it. (maybe $30 when I got it 3 or so yrs ago)

David