Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Specs that are part English and part metric

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 12:44:03 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:51:18 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
m...

Question: Why do they have a shopping basket on their site when there
is no way to buy their products online? What does Catia cost, anyway?
Just curious.

Something over $16,000 a seat. It is not for the faint of heart, nor the
hobbyist. However, if you're planning to design an airliner (its
original
market), it's the way to go.

Um, ouch?

Ever notice how the really expensive stuff, things with commas in
their prices, never seem to be priced online or in print? "Ask for a
quote" is the mark of the "too expensive" set, wot?

Yeah. I had to dig to find the price of a surf fishing reel the other day.
'Turns out it's $599. I had a feeling it was in that "if you have to
ask..."
category.

Yeah, people seem to like to bend sportsmen over for fishing and
hunting supplies.

What's even stranger to me is that some of them will pay those prices. That
reel I was looking at was a Shimano Stella, and it's a beautiful piece of
forging and machining. But how much better can it be than a $150 reel? Those
are nice, too. Doubtless they'll cast just as far and they have very good
drags, which are the things you're looking for in a surf reel.

There are a lot of people around with a lot of money, and they'll pay
ridiculous prices to feather their hobbies and pastimes. I'd feel so guilty
I couldn't enjoy my hobby if I spent like that.

--
Ed Huntress