Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Brent is offline

Default Starrett and Global Series

On Sep 14, 4:25 am, Wes wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
Mmm. I have nothing against Starrett or anyone else making tools in a
foreign market to service that market. But the idea of Foreign made
tools coming back to the US makes me pause. If they are Starrett
quality, then the folks with the Wal-Mart philosophy of cheaper = better
will be pleased.

I don't see your problem. Starrett is clearly indicating that the Global
line of products are not USA made. I am fairly confident that Starrett does
not want to devalue their reputation on US made tools which is something
that they have worked hard and long to achieve.

They figure that a lot of HSM types or guys starting out are likely to trust
an offshore product that Starrett has a connection with.

They are just trying to grab some sales that they are currently loosing out
on.

Wes

With the Slide of the US dollar you have no idea how much more
appealing shopping direct in USD looks and how much more Affordable
midrange american tools have become to the rest of the world. If i'm
making a MAJOR purchase right now i'd be nuts to do so in canada. The
US dollar being on the slide it is has basically added 25% to the
bottom line of a US manufacturer exporting tools. Foreign customers
can afford to buy more of the US made tools compared to any given
country.

I try whenever possible and reasonable to buy "G7 Made" or at least EU
member made tools and equipment so that my purchases are done in
nations where quality control and employee conditions are not
negotiable.

there are products in my toolbox made in china and india ESPECIALLY
portable power tools it seems. I cannot even find the top of the line
tools that are not made in china now. but whenever reasonable i would
RATHER buy from an industrialized nation

MADE IN THE USA midrange tooling and measuring have now entered my
budget when i Import it myself (A la Enco, MSC)

I hope American Manufacturing has NOT been decimated to the point
where it cannot profit from the weak dollar.