Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default HOA demands resident's web site come down

wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 20:57:08 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

HOAs function, more or less, as a democracy and can make whatever rules
they want within whatever restrictions the law applies.

Say what? They are about as totalitarian as you can get. The boards are
full of people who have too much time on their hands, and have no idea how
things work. People who do know how things work either don't have the
time,
or can't get the committee government to implement basic common sense
logic.

You can usually throw the bums out. All it takes is to round up a gang
of people who are as ****ed as you about the current officers and mob
the annual meeting.
All it takes is a little shoe leather and knocking on doors. It is
somewhat like hearding cats but it can be done. I did it at my HOA. We
ended up gertting the votes to let the deed restrictions die a
peaceful death after they expired. We still have an HOA chartered
under article 617 but we don't have the 720 deed restricted (liens,
fines etc) community.
Most HOA deed restrictions DO expire if the members don't show up to
vote against renewal. They were running our community on about a 17%
turnout at the annual meeting. We had 66% at the last meeting and the
vote reflected that. It went two to one against the the establishment.

What you did was admirable. It is difficult to find enough owners who are
residing there, find enough interested people, and find enough people who
are willing to miss a TV program or two. I've had all sorts of experiences
with HOAs on all levels, and it is quite a demonstration of the governing
process, from the good to the bad.

Most people are unaware of even their CC&Rs, let alone how the laws and
rules actually do work.

Steve