Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alan Van Art Alan Van Art is offline

Default Lathe Choices

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:25:35 -0600, THumphr
wrote:

Hi everybody,
I'm getting ready to buy a starter lathe for myself. I was into
turning in highschool and I'm ready to get back into it.
I was just about to buy a Grizzly lathe and chuck when I received an
email from WoodCraft offering a oneday only 15% off on almost any
thing in the store!

So should I get the Rikon lathe and Pinnacle chuck from Woodcraft for
288.98 + tax or should I go for the Grizzly G0624 lathe and chuck for
$324.00 + tax.

The October issue of Wood Magazine has a couple of articles concerning
the Rikon lathe. I highly recommend you pick up a copy and read it, but
to sum it up a bit, the Rikon is a lot of lathe for the money. One of
the articles ,however, points out that it is not just the lathe that you
need to be concerned with purchasing. The lathe purchase leads to many
other 'needs' not the least of which is lathe tools, and a sharpening
system. Everyone knows how expensive both of these items alone can be.
This article explains how one could purchase the lathe and all of the
necessities for under $600, and still get solid, useful items. Again, I
highly recommend this article for any beginners.