Lennie the Lurker

Default How to build a chip tray for a lathe stand?

(Josef Burger) wrote in message . ..
I'm looking to build a lathe stand for my 7" swing lathe. I'd like
to do a good job of it, but I've no experience building a stand
for precision machinery. It seems simple enough, but I'm concerned
about flatness and warping from welding which will affect the lathe
and its alignment.

Standard procedure that I've seen is to make the stand heavy enough,
and the tray light enough that when the machine is bolted down, it's
to the stand, and the tray conforms to the stand. I have my 7" X 12"
mounted on the stand from an old 12" Craftsman, the top is a 2 X 10
board. Shims where appropriate to avoid warping the bed, and bolts
going through the feet, the pan, down through the top. Leveling
should be done on the stand first, then make sure that it's not
putting strains on the bed of the machine when it's bolted down. The
tray should not be carrying the machine, the stand should.