Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
joel joel is offline

Default need advice: fair value of a CNC?

In article s.com,
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

So I'm contemplating dipping my toes into the CNC world for the first
time:

I found a late 80's Shizuoka STN mill with a Bandit2 controller. looks
to be very well kept, and clean, low hours, and I was able to see it

I've spent a bit of time watching eBay for one of these. They've generally
went around 1500-2000 with a bandit. I seen Reliable tools, well known eBay
vendor, get $5K on one.

This is one fine piece of iron, box ways, 4 hp head. I'm assuming you have
the tool changer.

The bandit is an obsolete control, holding value way down. I'd only buy if
you're willing to change out the control in the not too distant future.

thanks for the feedback! If the controller goes bad, what would I
replace it with? from the research i've done, It looks like the bandit
is both a motor driver and a logic/code controller combined. is this
standard practice, or is this now broken out into discreet components?
I've seen a PC based system that they call a controller (mach 3), but i
cant imagine that there's a multi-amp draw motor driver on a card inside
the PC...

yes, I'm a complete noob at this,so forgive my simplistic questions, but
I've gotta start somewhere. CNCs ease of repeatability and ability to do
complex profiles fascinates me and i want to get there in the smartest
way possible.

--Joel