Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus25943 Ignoramus25943 is offline

Default BP horizontal attachment

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 23:55:19 -0500, Paul wrote:
Ignoramus25943 wrote:

Also, just curious, what crimper do you use for crimping 10-18 gauge
terminals. (mostly insulated). I am not 100% satisfied with
mine.

After having done a lot of Ethernet wiring with a nice Ideal RJ-45
crimper, I now want to upgrade my cheap terminal crimper to something
nice also. Hence my question.

By the way, the ethernet wiring upgraded my house to gigabit Ethernet.

Iggy

If that's the ratcheting type RJ45 crimper you can get a set of dies for
it that does crimp on lugs. These things not only crimp the wire in the
lug barrel but have a secondary die that crimps the plastic barrel part
of the connector onto the wire insulation. These are becoming sort of a
'spec grade' required method in some industries such as nuclear power
and the power industry in general, per a friend in that area. I have a
set for my ratcheting crimpers at work and they do a very nice job but
somewhat more slowly than other methods.

My crimper of choice is actually one of those universal types, but a
very nice one, not one of those ****ty ones that come with the 'crimp on
assortment' kits. The wire stripper section is not the best but I do use
the screw cutter section. I don't recall what brand they are, possibly
Klien, maybe Ideal. The T&B brand crimpers do a nice job also, 'u'
shaped dies for non insulated lugs and longer fatter handles for better
leverage.

Paul, thanks. If you have a picture of the crimper that you like, I
would love to look at it.